Monday, August 6, 2007

The itchy and scratchy (joggling) show

Running with bad eczema in high humidity is like having a severe case of chicken pox combined with poison ivy sprinkled with chili powder. I must've stopped to scratch about 20 times today during my 22-mile long joggle. On the bright side, my muscles and cardiovascular system were in fine form during the whole run. The next few weeks will be key in my "ultimate 10-week marathon trianing program."

To prepare for a potential future five-ball joggling marathon, I have been working on joggling in a five-ball pattern with three balls (55500 in siteswap notation, a.k.a. consecutive three-ball flashes). Five-ball joggling requires not only perfect toss height, but also an accurate forward pitch to match the forward motion of running, much more so than the low tosses of three-ball joggling. Over the course of my long run this morning, my three-ups became dramatically more accurate. This week, I think I'll go for another five-ball joggle. It's great fun, and it makes the three-ball joggling seem so much easier.

3 comments:

Perry said...

What time do you go on a 22 mile run? Is it a morning thing, before work? Not sure I could get that kind of distance in before work.

Keep up the great work. Joggling 5 still seems tough to me.

Michal The Joggler Kapral said...

Monday was a national holiday in Canada so I had lots of time.

Perry said...

Michal, just saw this headline on a different blog I read.

Itchy and Scratchy

I hope she knows that you had it first.

Perry, 44